Is it so hard to ‘serve with a smile’? I’m a huge fan of ‘buy local’ and nothing makes me happier than seeing a local business thrive BUT I do wonder sometimes just why certain types of people venture in to retail at all!
So here’s my 5 top tips for retailers…
- Keep your door open – (weather permitting) it’s saying ‘come in – we’re open for business’
- Put the lights on – I can’t believe I’m typing that but yes I’ve been passed several shops thinking they’re closed but no, they’re cost saving
- Let me browse, but a little “hello, just shout if you need me” is a nice to have – chatting to your work pal and blanking the customer is just rude
- Don’t smoke outside your premises (really I’m typing that) but nothing puts you off more than seeing staff standing outside their workplace puffing on a fag
- Smile as you serve, say thank you it’s not that hard surely